Saturday 2 May 2020

Ungodly Death "Lost Nation"

front

back
I bought this shirt in the year 2013, around the time the a demo by this band was re-released by a local Malaysian label. This was printed in Indonesia by a fan of the band, based on the re-release of the band's one and only demo Lost Nation. The demo which the artwork of this shirt was based on, was originally released in 1992, was re-released by a local Malaysian label in 2013.

For those of you who do not recognise what band is featured in this shirt, this band is a legendary Malaysian band from Sarawak known as Ungodly Death. The band is considered one of the pioneers of metal music not only in Sarawak but in Malaysia as well. Unfortunately during the time I wrote this, the band's founder and frontman had passed away in 2019.

His passing has been mourned by his family and friends ever since and even probably many years to come after I write this. His contribution to the local metal scene in my country was huge and thus for me to own a this shirt presents a great deal for me as it somewhat represented my Sarawakian pride.

Although Ungodly Death had only produced one demo throughout their existence, the demo was very influential and solidified the underground metal music movement in Kuching city, the hometown of this band, which started in the late 1980s.

Talking about this shirt, I wore this shirt for many "important occasions". One of the occasion where I used this shirt was during my first ever visit to the Philippines in 2019 as the late Manny thanked me for wearing this shirt after he saw me upload a photo of me (while wearing this shirt) with friends at the streets of Quezon City uploaded to Facebook during the time. I felt good after he acknowledged my support for the band by wearing this shirt while going out of the country.

There were many "important occasions" where I wore this shirt and I can't tell them all here. I also wore this while I was on my way to attend a gig in Daro, a town located in the middle of nowhere in Sarawak in 2018. So this shirt is a prized possession of mine and there is no where I shall sell or let alone give this shirt to anyone.

Another interesting fact about this shirt is that the late Manny told me that he did not like the colour of the artwork from the re-release edition. For him, the artwork of the demo should have no colour at all but that was his opinion. I did told him that I am nevertheless grateful that there are people out there who took the effort in re-releasing his demo and also print the band's t-shirt like this one here. Otherwise people who support Ungodly Death like me would not have any merchandise from the band. He nevertheless agreed.

Ungodly Death can also be thankful that an Indonesian label had decided to release this t-shirt as it is now a very rare item and now that Manny had since passed away, I bet this will be a top search for those who are into rare, vintage or collectible metal t-shirts. The quality of this shirt's printing and t-shirt material is also top notch by standard too.

I have to copies of this shirt- one which I wore often and one which I had never used, still in brand new condition, bought by me a few years after I bought the first one.

BASIC INFO

Shirt: Ungodly Death "Lost Nation"

Category: Local Malaysian band t-shirt

Subject Origin: Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia

Condition: 8/10

Back print: yes

Long sleeve: no

Sleeves print: no

Shirt status: original, released by an Indonesian label

Printing ink and method: plastisol ink screen printing

No comments:

Post a Comment